Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Surgery may cause…..vegetarianism???

Let's start this post with a little backstory.  When I was younger I had a period of time where I really wanted to be a doctor or nurse-from when I was about 4-8 years old.  I think I was a doctor/nurse for Halloween a couple of times in that era.  Anyway, my mom wrote down this story:  One day while my mom was in the shower (I was about 4) the phone rang and I answered "Hello, this is nurse Nancy, do you need help?"  Luckily it was a good friend of the family and he played along and later told my mom.  Apparently I had done this a few times before when the phone rang and my mom was busy.  I'm not sure why I picked the name Nancy-maybe I saw it on TV or something.

Fast forward---a few weeks ago I had a surgery.  They had to do a few things beforehand, so a nurse came in to ask me some questions/take blood/start an IV--she said her name was Nancy.  I thought hmm-that's kind of funny.  So when I was out of recovery and back in the hospital room my nurse (a different one) came in and said, "Hi, I'm Nancy and I'll be the nurse helping you today."  I just about lost it even in my still drugged haze.  It was awesome.  

In the first week or two after I didn't really have much of an appetite and almost nothing sounded good. I have found that I now have some aversion to almost all meat.  Chicken still seems ok, but kind of iffy.  I have never had surgery before, but I guess this is some strange side effect, (probably just for me) which is fine--I have nothing against vegetarianism.  Juke has been a lifelong vegetarian (of his own choice) so I guess maybe I've joined him.  Below are some signs from my hospital room--notice the name of my nurse:)  Oh, and I had to get up and walk over to the door to take a picture of these signs--despite the "Fall Alert."  When nurse Nancy came in to get me up to walk around I didn't tell her I'd already been up and out of bed to take pictures-haha--but I didn't fall.





Now, another crazy medical moment--this one from my mom:

  On Sunday, March 30 she fell into a door in the garage and broke both of her arms.  Yes, both.  Her left arm is worse than the right.  Right now we're hoping she will not need surgery on the left arm, but she is going to the doctor today to find out.  Unfortunately, she will have casts on both arms for sure.


I have started a blog to send out information about her progress since she can't use a phone or email and there are tons of people calling/emailing and she just can't talk to everyone right now.  If anyone wants to keep up here is her blog:     joansbrokenarms.blogspot.com




No comments:

Post a Comment